Thursday, 4 December 2008

Task 9

Library resources for seminar/writing preparation

Bearing the topic of this month is media; I should find some more information on it to do the better job. Due to the second essay is about the surveillance system, it is important to prepare some data and information for the subject. I took some notes about the article on my essay title by reading some book which related to the topic.

“The media fulfill three societal roles: surveillance of the larger environment, achieving consensus among segments of society, and transmission of culture including validation of civil society values. Media content analysis applied to a consistent sample over time will allow monitoring of an issue’s progress from a state of disambiguation to legitimation and routinization.” (by Harold Lasswell )

From his passage, I knew the main reason why the society need the surveillance system is to given the proof of crime. Though the media can not control the rate of crime happened, it still make people feel safer.

In addition, I found the relationship between the media and crime. The surveillance system become more and more famous because of the increase of crime, at the same time more and more people begin to think about whether it infract their privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment